"In the 1960s when the recording studio suddenly really took off as a tool, it was the kids from art school who knew how to use it, not the kids from music school. Music students were all stuck in the notion of music as performance, ephemeral. Whereas for art students, music as painting? They knew how to do that"..... Brian Eno
Zane introduced Digital Recording lessons as an option in my studio a couple of years ago. Back then, he didn’t really have a curriculum. He started when some of his students began asking him for lessons upon discovering that he had a digital recording studio. He consented to teaching them, and off they went! There was much experimentation and learning was done by much trail and error.
Now, things are much more organized. Zane provides students with one of three options:
- Live Recording/Digital Recording/Mixing/Engineering/Producing – for aspiring recording artists, singers, composers. We record students performing their own compositions, including vocals and instrumental parts. This provides a basic knowledge of live recording techniques. We also have the option to work with a wide variety of digital instrumentation, ranging from drums, to strings, to orchestra, to synthesizers and much more. Once instrument tracks are completed, mixing techniques are introduced. These include equalization, compression, reverb, delays, and exposure to literally hundreds of other plugins designed to produce studio-quality mixes.
- Mixing/Engineering/Producing – This is for students who do not wish to record their own compositions, but who are interested in the Mixing/Engineering/Producing aspects of recorded music production. We use pre-recorded vocal and instrumental tracks as a starting point to build a unique mix. Students learn mixing techniques, including panning, automation, equalization, compression, reverb, and digital effects. They may also choose to add digital instrumentation as well as experiment with other production techniques.
- Electronic Music – Students work with a multitude of state-of-the-art in-house electronic instruments, synthesizers and samplers top build their own electronic sounds. They learn about electronic sound creation and manipulation, as well as mixing, engineering and production basics.
- In order to provide an adequate amount of time to each student enrolled in Digital Recording, I limit the amount of Digital Recording students each year to five.
- In the past, I have worked with students as pre-preparation for media school, others intending to enroll in post-secondary sound production programs, and still others looking to release Demo Cd’s and EP’s.
Space is limited. Please Contact Zane for availability.
PC - Dell Precision M6700 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3940XM CPU @ 3.00GHz 3.20 GHz; 32.0 GB (RAM); 64-bit Operating System;
External Hard Drive - GLYPH - GPT50 3TB USB
External Hard Drive - GLYPH - GPT50 3TB USB
Audio Interface - M-Audio 2626
Audio Interface - Focusrite Liquid Sapphire 56
MIDI Controller - Oxygen 88
Vocal MIc - Blue Bottle Rocket One with B6 & B8 Bottle Caps
Vocal Mic - Rhode NTK
Controller - Mackie Big Knob
Headphones - Sennheiser HD 800
Headphones - Sennheiser HD 650
Headphones - AKG Q701
Speakers - KRK Rokit 5
Speakers - KRK Rokit 8
Speakers - Bose Companion 5 Multimedia System
Digital Audio Workstation (DAW)
Pro Tools 12
Digital Instrumentation & Samplers
Native Instruments - Komplete 9 Ultimate: includes Absynth 5, Battery 4, FM8, Guitar Rig 5, Kontact 5, Massive, Reaktor 5
Spectrasonics - Stylus RMX, Trillian
Synthology - Ivory
Toontrack - Superior Drummer, E-Z Drummer
Applied Acoustic Systems - Lounge Lizard, Tassman, Chromophone
Vir2 - Acou6tics, Violence, Basis, Electri6ity, Mojo Horn Section
Sample Logic - Synergy, Morphestra
8DIO - Adagietto, Adagio Bass, Adagio Cello, Adagio Violas, Adagio Violins, Agitato, Ambient Guitar, Black, Dobro Solo, MisFit Banjo, MisFit Bucket Bass, MisFit Diddley Bow, MisFit Fiddle, MisFit Harmonica, MisFit Jaw Harp, MisFit Stompbox, MisFit Trombone, MisFit Trumpet, MisFit Washboard, Postapocalyptic Guitar, Solo Studio Violin, Songwriting Guitar, Steel String Guitar, Strummer Guitar
IK Multimedia - Amplitude 3
Matthew Lane - DrMS V4
Waves Audio - GTR Amp, GTR Stomp 2, GTR Stomp 4, GTR Stomp 6, GTR Tool Rack
IK Multimedia - T-Racks Deluxe: Opto Compressor, Vintage Tube Compressor/Limiter 670, Vintage Tube Program Equalizer, Metering, Line Phase Equalizer, Classic T-Racks Multi-band Limiter, Classic T-Racks Clipper, Classic T-Racks Compressor, Classic T-Racks Equalizer, Brickwall Limiter; Black 76 Limiting Compressor: CSR Hall Reverb, CSR Inverse Reverb, CSR Plate Reverb, CSR Room Reverb
Native Instruments - Enhanced EQ, Passive EQ, RC 48, Solid Buss Comp, Solid Dynamics, Solid EQ, Transient Master, Vari Comp, VC 160, VC 2A, VC 76
Plugin Alliance - BX Cleansweep, Elysia Mpressor, Elysia Niveau Filter, SPL Bass Ranger, SPL Drum Xchanger, SPL Mo-verb, SPL Transient Designer, SPL Vitalizer
RPCX - Punch - BD
Softube - Saturation Knob
SoundToys - Crystallizer, Decapitator, Devil-Loc Deluxe, Echo-Boy, FilterFreak 1, FilterFreak 2, Little Microshift, MicroShift, PanMan, Phase Mistress, Tremolator
Wave Arts - FinalPlug, MasterVerb, MultiDynamics, Panorama, TrackPlug
Waves Audio - Aphex Vintage Exciter, C1 Comp, C1 Comp-Gate, CLA Bass, CLA Drums, CLA Effects, CLA Guitars, CLA Unplugged, CLA Vocals, CLA-2A, CLA-3A, CLA-76, DeEsser, Dorrough, Doubler2, Doubler4, EKramer BA, EKramer FX, Enigma, H-Delay, IDR, IR-L efficient, IR-L full, IR1 efficient, IR1 full, J37, JJP-Bass, JJP-Cymb-Perc, JJP-Drums, JJP-Guitars, JJP-Strings-Keys, JJP-Vocals, Kramer HL5, Kramer PIE, Kramer Tape, L1 Limiter, Li+ Ultramaximizer, Maserati ACG, Maserati B72, Maserati DRM, Maserati GRP, Maserati HMX, Maserati VX1, MaxxBass, MetaFilter, OneKnob Brighter, OneKnob Driver, OneKnob Filter, OneKnob Louder, OneKnob Phatter, OneKnob Pressure, OneKnob Pumper, PneKnob Wetter, Q1, Q10, Q2, Q3, Q4, Q6, Q8, REDD17, REDD37-51, Reel ADT, Reel ADT Live, Reel ADT-2V, Reel ADT2V Live, Renaissance Axx, RVerb, RVox, S1 Imager, S1 MS Matrix, S1 Shuffler, SSL Channel, SLL Comp, SSL EQ, SSL GChannel, SuperTap 2-Taps, SuperTap 6-Taps, TransXMulti, TransX Wide, TrueVerb, Vitamin, Vocal Rider, Vocal Rider Live, W43
iZotope - Izotope Alloy 2, iZotope Nectar 2, iZotope Nectar 2 BreathControl, iZotope 2 Pitch Editor, iZotope Ozone 5
Parallex Audio - VirtualSoundstage 2
Artist Name - Artist Title
0:00 / 0:00